Translate

Blog Archive

July 01, 2012

Florida to Maine Day Fifteen

This was my kind of day.  Traveled some version of Rails to Trails from Farmington, CT to, I think, Southwick, Massachusetts. Beautiful day, flat until the trail ended and glory, glory, I climbed one major, oh-my-god hill going at least 3 mph!!!!  Bobbie was behind me so I had room for my legs to give all they had without having to worry about getting hit by a car.  To those folks who passed me by and tooted your horns approvingly, as I struggled mightily, you carried me - right to the top! Each and every one of you.  Motivating gestures and words help enormously, in case anyone is wondering.

It is perfectly clear.  I can hold my own riding in city traffic - even in NYC I did darn well considering I'm a rural gal at heart, and I'm not bad on the flats...but I am NOT a climber.  Marty tackles these hills  like he's been trained well!  Joe?  I hear your name often.

On the other hand, I smell the roses along the way while Marty powers along the byways like super-stud!  The deal now that the hills are front and center is that I get to do my pokey slow up and over unless we have a deadline.  Even the rollers don't take me out.  However, when it comes to the straight up, big grades with no time for strategically getting some steam behind me and especially if at the end of the day when I have ridden far and am tired, I'll toss my bike in the van so Marty doesn't have to slow down.  Fortunately, there have only been a handful of these moments.  I surmise by trips end, I'll take 30 miles off personal miles ridden at most.....assuming tomorrow's hills claim 10.

Once again, we met more terrific folks.  We exchanged photos with John, a Pub Roller, and shared Gatoraide with Ezra and Jay.  Thank you guys for your donations and for spreading the word of our fundraising efforts.

Meeting other cyclists along the way has been one of my greatest pleasures on this trip.  What a very
cool culture, for sure!  In fact, I ventured onto the trail before Marty after lunch with hopes of finding that often needed bathroom.  I pulled up to a quaint counry store with hanging flowers on the porch.  The proprietors had it right.   A full cycling crowd were gathered to grab a latte or lunch.  Bathroom break and iced latte for me!  Hardly gets any better!

And a deer made her debut mid afternoon as I peddled by miles of farmland.  She spotted me first.  I stopped.  She stayed.  I reached for my phone.  She watched.  But by the time I finally had my camera application pulled, she had disappeared.  The memory will surfice.  She was elegant and graceful.

The stone walls, rolling hills, flora and fauna and people of New England had me feeling like I was home.  Grateful.  Always grateful, but especially so today to be amongst that which is so familar even though the years away have been many.

And I thought often of the people I hope to see at the finish line.  I need you- after
all these days of peddling far, I am ready to be held close!

Nubbel Lighthouse, York Beach, Maine 2 PM, July 3rd, Tuesday.  Please join us!!!

4 comments:

Evelyn Stankowski said...

Hey Di,

Gee, I did not realize you had started your trek and here you are almost to the finish line.

Girl, I am so impressed.

I just read all your post...what an undertaking, but the passion that flows from all your posts is so encouraging, so uplifting and so Diane. Your zest for life shows in all you do and say. It is the you I have always known. Don't ever change :)

May the Lord above -- continue to bless -- all that you do.

Love & Hugs,

Evie :)

MMRF PowerTeam said...

Can't wait to see you at the finish line!

Heids said...

Almost there, I'll be cheering from Duxbury. Bravo!!!

Anonymous said...

well thank goodness you only have to go to York instead of Portland headlight which is near cape Elizabeth we wish you well and hope you make it the newlyweds at Hampton inn in Nashua NH