Translate

Blog Archive

June 15, 2012

Florida to Maine Bike Trip - An A+ Slug Today!!!!

Today I rode for about 5 hours, 70 miles....and not once did it rain on the parade!!!! While I cringe at the 12 mph I think I am averaging and while these tires have added weight to my ride, I felt very safe. From the leftovers of our regular afternoon storms (tree limbs, sand, gravel), I no longer was worried about something puncturing a tube - and I liked that. Considering we will be on the road with all it's 'stuff' I opted not to change out the tires and just be an A+ slug!!!!

Riding at this slower pace, too, seems to have eliminated any leg cramping - something I've battled in the past even with a Metric, let a long a Century ride. The foot pain showed up around mile 60, which is standard, but I was able to stay clipped into the peddle and rest my foot on top of my shoe for a while. If I fell for some reason, this arrangement wouldn't be great, but it was a terrific way to manage the nerve pain.

Finally, I have discovered an Android sports application call Endomondo which tracks distance, speed, calories burned etc. Easy to use and am able to share. I still need to play around with it, because it tracked my hours riding tonight but not the miles - nonetheless I'm hoping it will be a nice record of this adventure.

I continue to feel strong endurance wise and could have ridden more today, but had too many things left to do. Eager to start.

No comments: