Translate

Blog Archive

June 23, 2012

Florida to Maine Bike Trip - Day Seven 57 miles


Easy, breezy day.  The sand dunes along the way are desert like - stark and striking.  I have never seen so much beach land and it's dunes.  After seeing a dolphin on the way into Nags Head, NC, we stopped to take in the Kitty Hawk museum - something Marty especially wanted to see.


Interestingly, the Wright Brothers started out with a bicycle shop, which we all appreciated.  Lots of interesting facts about them, including them being son's of a man who was a minister.  But the part that amazed me the most was considering that mankind only took to the skies in 1903.  To think that we have reached the moon as a result of the discoveries of these two brothers is mind boggling.


Made a stop at K-Mart which was heaven sent.  For a couple of days, I've needed all the little extra medicinal supplies to make riding more comfortable.....such as moleskin for the calloused areas......bandages for a scrape here and there......more paper towels.  I sweat constantly and profusely and my hands slip on the handle bars.  I ride with paper towel which cuts down of the slip and slide  action.


Yesterday while putting a bandage on a leg cut after lunch at Dajio (which was the best ever, btw), a little girl - I think her name was Christina - came over and handed me this leaf!  She wanted me to feel better and it was a get-well token from the restaurant's garden.  I kept it Christina..



Today's highlight of the day for me was meeting Stephanie in a refuge area parking lot.  She is helping to raise money for a little 6 year old girl, Sophie, with pancreatic cancer and as we were exchanging life stories, I remarked on the beaded bracelet she was wearing.  Selling her handmade creations is how she is helping to raise money for Sophie.  She asked if I would like the bracelet and though taken aback at her generosity, I gratefully accepted her gift.  Here's a photo of Stephanie with it on, which I now have on and will not take it off for the remainder of the trip.  It reminds me both of little Sophie and of the sweet heart of a woman named Stephanie I met along the way from Florida to Maine.  Stephanie, I hope you are reading this and know how much your
gesture meant.

And of course Bobbie, forever filming and driving.  We couldn't do this without her.

Less I forget, let me mention and thank Nathan Sports, one of our sponsers for the safety gear and hydration packets.

Another wonderful healing day of cycling.


No comments: