Translate

Blog Archive

June 18, 2012

Florida to Maine Bike Trip - Day Two 93 miles

Hot, sunny, cobble like roads in the midday sun - this was draining.   Drank a gazilion bottles of water.  Lunched in the shade of a farmers market that was closed and found electrical so we could charge our phones.  For those following Endomodo, the application shuts down periodically when the battery wanes, so unfortunately I am not able to record with lots of accuracy....but it'll give you a sense of miles, times etc..  Temps were about 87 degrees most of the day.  I was constantly dousing myself with water - literally all day long.

People honking, waving, donating to the foundation.  That has been so encouraging.  Truckers were extraordinarily helpful as we navigated through Savannah...we have cards we hand out to folks like good hearted truckers so they know what we are doing.......once out of the trucker congestion, the scenery north of Savannah was serenely beautiful marshland.   I'll come back here someday to explore

Stretching and getting the lactic acid buildout drained from our legs is at least a once a day event.  Today it was at a gas station!!!!!  We couldn't wait for a grassy area.

We are now in South Carolina - about 40 miles west of Charleston, had a prime rib meal, baked potato and fresh green bean.  And hush puppies - something I'd never had before!  We are stuffed and exhausted.  We've also got a good system going with who goes in the shower first after the days ride and I brought my exercise ball to stretch out my back at the end of the day, which I've used faithfully.  We've blended out personal routines well - it didn't take long!

Bobbie (Marty's wife) has been a hero.  Marty leads the way, I'm behind and Bobbie is behind me.  She has her flashers going and basically keeps our riding lane free of traffic.  A godsend.  The other really helpful thing are the walkie talkie's between us.  It helps us follow the route without many mistakes, call for food or water when we need it - or even just a 'time out.'  I would never do something like this without a Sag Wagon.

While I am very weak on the hills, I can get up and over .... and when it's particulary tough Bobbie is on the radio encouraging me.  I never knew how important tthe encouragement factor was when doing an event like this.  Keeps you going.

Tomorrow is another 100 or so mile day.  Time for bed.




1 comment:

Ruth said...

Thumbs up Di ! You're doing awesome!